najlaqamber

Unputdownable Books

The Selection - Kiera Cass
To be frank, I thought I would hate this book. I thought that it would be one of those books that write prose poetry and it would be one of those books that take half a series to actually get to the good parts. I even thought I would hate the book. And boy, was I wrong.

The book had characters you’ll love, plots to die for and plot twists to steer you off roads. The Selection is about a working class young woman who was raffled into a competition to win the heart of Prince Maxton. She is one of 35 girls who will fight to get a chance to date and fall in love with the next King. It sound so much like Cinderella? Surprising enough, the author may have gotten the inspiration from the old story but she made it unique enough to make it her own.

I’m amazed at how fast the book picked up and how easy it was to fall in love with the characters. Aspen, America, Maxton, even the other girls in the competition (good or bad) were all easy to like. The writing style was wonderful and easy to get through. For the veteran readers out there, you’ll probably devour this book in a day or two.

America Singer doesn’t fall for the prince. She is in love with someone else. Someone below her station. Someone who has to work many jobs to keep his mother and siblings alive. Someone close to reality and not a shining man in armor like the prince.

The world of The Selection involved Princess Diaries Makeovers, Balls, flowing gowns, summer dresses and a fantasy world that makes girls weak to their knees. Kiera Cass has definitely wrote herself a best-selling book teens will enjoy to the fullest. Only regret I have is my gradually decreasing joy for the Young Adult genre. I should have loved this book a lot more but I think it’s my time to move on to a different genre.