najlaqamber

Unputdownable Books

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - to-morrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

One of many paragraphs in this book that is so deep and real. These metaphors, these lines and sentences make The Great Gatsby a classic ten times more than any other classic out there. It truly is a masterpiece.

The book is bright, smokey and deep toned. It's the 1920's and Nick (the narrator) and everyone else in this book spends most of their time out at parties, smoking, dancing, complaining about complaining, being unhappy and not having too much fun because they're too classy to do so or not too classy at all. I didn't like the parties or the droll conversations they have. And when they're not having a huge parties they're having small house parties with their closest acquaintances and all they do at these smaller parties is gossip about mistresses, bonds, cars, and more class (that they all seemed to have). Though I disliked the parties and the gossip, the atmosphere the book has is downright authentic that I'd read the book again just to feel the early 1900's again.

Likewise, Mr. Gatsby is a man no one really knows. In the book, everyone gossips about who he is, where he's from, how he got his money. They even wondered if he was a killer, or a drug lord. Who is this mysterious man who throws the biggest and most extravagant parties in the whole of New York? No one really knows, that is until he befriends Nick and his whole gang of friends, including Daisy, the Wilsons, Tom, Jordan, etc.

After much gossip and the faint drama between the group of friends, the book started to get really faced paced really quickly that I just couldn't stop reading till the end. Classics are usually not supposed to be page-turning, they're supposed to be deep, sensual, soul-sucking and inspiring. And in this case, The Great Gatsby is the classic that is all those things put together.

I really thought I would dislike the book. I thought I would find it dull and dragging. But I was wrong. This is truly a book everyone needs to read at least once in their lifetimes.