najlaqamber

Unputdownable Books

Want - Stephanie Lawton Want is an unexpected turn into my usual reads. The cover itself is a representation of mixed genres like contemporary, romance, fiction, young adult, and even a small flare of paranormal.

The story itself was dark on a psychological sense. It involves self-inflicted pain, trauma, domestic abuse and the usual heartache. It was also dark in an angsty sense. Romance here was preserved as both bad and good, bad in terms of damaging ones reputation and good in terms of finding the ‘one’.

All the characters are easily distinguished from the other. Juli is our protagonist and she is a brilliant pianist. She’s training her way into this prestigious music school in Boston but her piano teacher, who is old and gray had a stroke and is hospitalized. His replacement is his famous nephew, Isaac. Juli scares me sometimes. Her reactions to everything are unpredictable. She could be throwing things around in this page and shouting in the other. Her self-esteem problem and her constant doubts she has of herself is overwhelmingly annoying, to the point, where I almost stopped reading the book and left it at that. But no, Stephanie Lawton, has written a page-turner. No matter what, you just can’t stop turning those pages.

The only thing I can say about Isaac is that I used to love him but now, I just don’t know what to say about him. The mysterious bad-boy disappointed me and I didn’t see it coming at all.

My favorite character of the book would be Dave. Dave is Isaac’s best friend from Boston and Juli’s newfound best friend. Dave was adorable, sweet and the only good guy in the whole story, the guy who challenged the bad things in Juli’s life with his sweetness and balanced good and evil.

Overall, Want is the type of book that keeps you guessing. The type that makes you believes it’s predictable but its not. It may be from the Young Adult genre, but I’m pretty sure fiction-junkie’s will like this as much as I have. This is a wonderful Debut from a wonderful new author, Stephanie Lawton. I hope there’s a sequel to this. The ending didn’t seem like the end at all.