najlaqamber

Unputdownable Books

First Grave on the Right - Darynda Jones This is the easiest book I've ever scored 5 stars to. The moment I finished the first chapter, I knew it would be a 5 star thing all the way through. First Grave on the Right has its own original dialogue. It is snarky, sarcastic and all together hilarious. I have never laughed so much while reading a paranormal/urban fantasy book. EVER.

Charlotte Davidson is the most colorful character I've read about so far. I'm surprised when she hasn't been complaining, nagging and overall being emo at the fact that she was born with this job (being a grimm reaper). Most protagonists I've read about have all been whinny about their gifts. "Oh, I don't know what I am! I don't know where I belong" Yada yada yada! Charlotte is a HUGE sport and even though she's still discovering things about her "job". She still stands strong and instead of being naggy and whiney about it. She graces these wonderful pages with snarky sly comments and hilarious analogies.

The book was pretty Anita Blake like, but in its own unique way and minus all the vampires, zombies, and werewolves (THANK GOODNESS). Charley is a Private Investigator, who helps the local police department solve cold cases and current cases they can't seem to solve themselves. And being the Grimm Reaper and all, its easier for Charley to find missing persons with her ghostly-informants sidekicks. Of course, she isn't able to do this without the help of her Detective Uncle, Bob.

No matter how much this series reminds me of the Anita Blake series. It held its own originality and plot. Anita Blake Series was definitely NOT this funny. First Grave on the Right is an excellent book filled with humor, excitement, mystery and its own shade of dark elements as well as morbid moments. For a debut novel, Jones sure does know how to write them wonderful dialogues. An unputdownable read! Pick it up, if you haven't already.