najlaqamber

Unputdownable Books

The Host - Stephenie Meyer I'm going to try starting out this review without saying anything negative about the book. I did enjoy the book. It accompanied me through boring times at my University. I liked the world Stephanie Meyer wrote up with this really out of it book. I think the right term is dystopian? Am I right?

I've heard a lot more bad things about this book than good things but as stubborn as I am I had to find out on my own if it is as bad as it seems. At the beginning of the book I was in fact bored and was thrown off by the sci-fi bits. I'm not into the aliens bit much. But as soon as I read after page 200. I got hooked.

Every time I closed my eyes I imagined myself in the world Melanie Stryder had to live in. Aliens taking over the planet while replacing the violence of humans into kindness and made it look like life was so much easier with "The Souls" on earth. Also, whats up with the weird names? Cloud Spinner, Petals Open to the Moon, Burns living Flowers, Sunlight Passing Through Ice? Most of them made me laugh. They sounded ridiculous. But if they were American Indians then the names would have been cool.

This book also reminded me of the TV Show The Walking Dead. I won't get into why I think it reminds me of the show because it'll be too spoilery for you guys. Anyways, I shall move on to mentioning my success of actually finishing a 809 paged paperback book within 4 days. I am proud of myself. But I think the fact that the book is 800 pages made me read it too fast because I just wanted it to be over. I wouldn't mind it if it was just a stand alone book but I hear its a series?

If there is another installment to this book then it didn't leave much of a cliff hanger. The ending pretty much said "END" like "Nothing else follows END".

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the love story inserted into this book. At the beginning there was so much violence coming from Mel's love interests. They all couldn't get their hands off of her in terms of bruises and black eyes. Basically, because she was one of "them" but I still can't believe how violent this book is. I think Meyer has stepped up a bit after Twilight. Horrah for that. But I can't say I liked this better than Twilight. They're both almost on the same scale.

Overall, I would say I liked it, it was okay. It kept me occupied and reading. It was entertaining but it wasn't all that. It'd give it a 3/5 stars.