najlaqamber

Unputdownable Books

Nightshade: Book 1 - Andrea Cremer I'm going to make this short and simple for you all. I know sometimes, its a drag to read all the long reviews and some of us (including myself) are even lazy to even finish reading a review. For my sake and for all my lovely followers. I'll make it all easy for you.

My first review of 2011.

Before anything else, I would say I was a little disappointed of this book. I somewhat thought it would blow me away completely, hearing so many great things about it and everyone rating 5 stars and the like. I expected it to me more than great.

Anyways, I'll start with the usual. The protagonist is an amazing character. Calla, is strong, loyal, dependable and most of all not whiny, that's plus marks for me. Renier or Ren was my favorite choice for Calla since I kind of found Shay a little whiny in the beginning. Ren, is strong and oh so bad boyish but sweet. Hes like that bad boy tamed by a strong willed female. I totally loved it. Team Ren all the way! Shay on the other hand, was whiny and like a little puppy wondering around Calla. I didn't take much of a liking to him at first, until somewhere near the end of the book. The rest of the pack are great. I loved them all, maybe except Sabine and Cosette but hey, they're good people too.

The whole hierarchy and story between The Searchers and Keepers are very unique and totally different. The Guardians, as well, were well written and accounted for. I loved it how the Banes and Nightshades are not called "werewolves" but Guardians. I also appreciated the distinction and uniqueness these Guardians had from our usual werewolves from our usual supernatural books.

In conclusion, I loved Cremer's writing style. Her details were a little vague but refined at the same time. Nightshade was easy to read and really captures you and lures you into the book. I enjoyed learning about the characters and the story behind Searchers and Keepers, despite how slow the beginning felt. The humor in it as well really lightened the seriousness. I also loved the bits and pieces of all the unusual kinds of creatures and monsters that appeared in this book. The ending was a bit of a cliffhanger! Andrea Cremer really wrote herself one unusual storyline and book. Overall, great book! I can't wait for Wolfsbane!

Naj @ http://unputdownablebookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/review-nightshade-by-andrea-cremer.html